Prev: GZGL FH - Jumbos, Jets and Turbo Props Next: {Semi-OT}Prototype Games Workshop's Space Battle System -Reply

Re: GZGL FH - Jumbos, Jets and Turbo Props

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:05:08 -0400
Subject: Re: GZGL FH - Jumbos, Jets and Turbo Props

> Is there still a place in GZG's Future History, for the Jumbo Jet?
What
> about other aeroplanes like turbo-props, small passenger jets, cargo
planes,
> etc.? Would they have all disappeared? Or would they still be in use?
>     Colony worlds have a low population, but I would expect
populations
of
> two or three million to be easily attainable after, say, 50-100 years
of
> colonisation. New Zealand has a population of 3.5 million, yet it has
it's
> own fleet of jets and other aircraft (Air New Zealand). So do even
smaller
> places like Fiji, Tonga and Cook Islands.

But do they build their own, or buy them from someone like Boeing?  If
the
latter, then you have to assume that either a) planes don't need to be
specialized for each planet's atmosphere/gravity/weather/whatnot, or b)
that if they do have to be specialized, there's a large enough market
for
incentive.

>     So, after landing on planet from the orbital scramjet, is it
likely
you
> could need to take a conventional plane to get to other places on the
> planet?

I wouldn't think they'd build airports.  Maybe VTOL or STOL craft
operating
as "air taxi" service.	(In a similar way, I don't see a need to build a
hugely expensive road net like the US highway system.  I would expect
"hovercraft trails" would be graded, perhaps, but not paved.  Grass
might
grow there, but passing vehicles would clip anything growing too high.)
Obviously with grav vehicles, there's no distinction between air and
ground
transport, and no need for roads or airports, just  traffic control
protocol and network.

Prev: GZGL FH - Jumbos, Jets and Turbo Props Next: {Semi-OT}Prototype Games Workshop's Space Battle System -Reply