Prev: Re: [SG2] Terrain Next: Re: Bab5 fighter figs -- Be jealous!

[SG2] Terrain

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:00:14 -0500
Subject: [SG2] Terrain

Strikes me that one of the ways to use 'terrain' cards, as it were,
would be to make up a series of terrain tiles (either graphically or
just with a text description) in 1'x1' sizes. Then a battlefield is
composed of a draw of a bunch of these tiles. Now if a given mission
mandates something, that may specify something like "An industrial
complex, the objective, forms a two tile square at the centre of the
board". Non-specified terrain would be drawn from a tile mix based on
either selected or random area (that is to say, you are unlikely to
see swamp and desert side by side - but a desert tile mix might
include flats, low dunes, high dunes, some scrub, oases, etc.).
This would let you 'deal' your battlefield. And then whatever mission
is run on that battlefield.

This has been used in random dungeon generation in FRPs and I think
is viable in this venture too. I'll try to work out some tiles and
some typical tile decks for different terrains.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [SG2] Terrain Next: Re: Bab5 fighter figs -- Be jealous!