Prev: Scattered Units Under Fire Question (SG2] Next: RE: The Kra'Vak

Re: The Kra'Vak

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:57:30 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: The Kra'Vak

You wrote:

>Well I'm primarily interested in all this (Besides having a large
kra'Vak FT >fleet) due to my Rot Hafen Story. Someone had written an
interesting rule >about Kra'Vak who fail their morale checks in DS/SG.
Instead of surrendiering >they go beserk and automatically assault
their source of fire or nearest >enemy.

This would be an alternate form of morale--but they will attempt to
signal surrender/switch first, probably about the time they hit broken.

>For a while today I had a hard time reconcilling this rule with teh
surrender >/switch rule described below. I like both and don't want to
write anything in >teh story that goes against "conventional wisdom"
here on the list. That >being said..

Tony and myself hardly consistute list "Conventional Wisdom".  I'm
doing an alternate campaign with an alternate take on the K'V.	If Jon
decides to adopt our ideas in whole or in part I will of course be
honored, but regardless I will use them.  I'm trying to think of a
species that thinks as well as a man, but not like a man.  Without
falling too far into SciFi cliches.

>I think that the surrender/switch rule being the norm for KV/on KV
fights is >great. The fact that they have now encountered the humans
which don't "get" >this way of fighting, has caused them to go into
erradication mode. (Being >that the option of surrender switch has been
taken away from the KV in a >human encounter.) They reconcile this by
defaulting to fail morale, go >beserk.

It's likely that the first few battles in any campaign would see KV
trying to surrender/switch.  After the first few a slaughtered they
will be going berserk.

>This tragic situation will continue until the two sides can learn
enough >about each others to understand how they think and to open a
dialogue between >eachotehr. It's made worse by the fact (well it's

Of course, the NRE will become aware of the surrender/switch mechanism.
 Rhomaioi always employed mercenaries and EPWs--generally on other
fronts (Belisarius's Vandal POWs went to the Persian Front or to Italy,
not garisson duty in North Africa).  We'll see Kra'Vak ships and troops
being used against Islamic Federation and the FSE, while FSE and IF
POWs who agree to it will be used on the Kra'Vak Front.

been suggested in some >corners) that a WORSE enemy is actually driving
the KV into human space. Sems >like the future could be dim for both
races if at some point they don't get >on the same sheet of music.

I havn't decided on whether or not the K'V are fleeing some great
menace.  I do know that for whatever reason, their only realistic
avenue of expansion is into Human space--and any species which produces
litters of the size they do must expand.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Scattered Units Under Fire Question (SG2] Next: RE: The Kra'Vak