Prev: RE:[FT] Some House rules for comment (SFB universe) Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:18:31 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Samuel Penn wrote:

> But your targetting computer can compute ranges to all targets,
> the AI works out the best targets, and paints little crosshairs
> over them on the HUD on your visor.

As I said, I don't really question whether sufficiently advanced
technology can do it. I am questioning whether the *human crew*
can digest all that information (working from the assumption that we are
still using human crews) fast enough to make a judgement.

Let me pose this in another way: When playing your fave *real-time*
flight
sim (or some such, Wing Commander clones included) that has extensive
HUD
display, do you *always* pick the most optimal target?

I know I don't. I tend to go for the first thing in my sights, unless
there's something *obviously* better nearby.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE:[FT] Some House rules for comment (SFB universe) Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle