Prev: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

RE: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:22:45 -0500
Subject: RE: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space

This came up in a discussion once, which was mainly concerned with
indicting X or Y ethnic group as the purveyors of all violence and evil.

 Somebody brought up the point that from the paleo evidence so far
(sketchy, but OK) that the Cro-Magnon variant pretty much wiped out the
Neanderthals in Europe over a period of a few hundred years.  When
compared
to estimated migration rates & patterns, that's a pre-historic genocide
of
huge proportions.  And there would be more Neanderthal gene-leftovers if

they had interbred.  We're all violent chimps, when it comes down to it.

There are several ways that this has been approached in SF, and all have

succeeded and failed, to some degree.  You've got 3 standard settings:
1) Humans encounter MUCH more aggressive races (Bugs, Kra'Vak - maybe?,
etc.)
2) Humans are no more or less aggressive than everybody else - no real
loonies (Star Wars, Star Trek, others)
3) Humans are violent psychopaths, compared to the rest of the
peace-loving
galaxy (A.D. Foster's 'A Call To Arms' series, various short stories)

Personally, I like to have a variety - a few sociopaths, a lot of OK
races,
and a few scaredy-cats.  Makes for more interesting interactions.

Noah