Prev: RE: still FMA-40k Next: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging

Re: Planetary defenses

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:18:49 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

You wrote:

>> Guerilla operations are fine IF you are supported by the outside.
No >> guerilla war in history has ever won without outside (other
nations) >> help.

>Not true at all.There have been successful internally run guerilla
movements. >One of the most recent examples would be Eritrea. They
fought a 30 year struggle >against Ethiopia to win their independence
with virtually no outside help. >Everything theyy got and everything
they learned came from the enemy. The >Ethipoians had a blank check
from the Soviets as far as equipment as well as >numerous advisors.

That's one counter-example.  There aren't any others.  One exception in
history.  And as I've put it in the past, in military history we can
find examples of everything except one side loosing due to meteors
flattening the command staff.  Do we want me to start listing sucessful
counter-insurgencies?  I'll even restrict to the past 2 centuries.

Besides, the stuff I've read about the Eritreans mentioned a world-wide
support network of ex-pat Eritreans who funnelled money back home and
more importantly, got education and training on the outside then took
their skills back home.

Plus the Ethiopian were. . . what's a polite way to put it, less than
stellarly competent?  Assuming a military organization that can find
it's arse with a flashlight and both hands the situation looks a bit
different.

And last but not least, let's not forget the rather substantial
Ethiopian contribution--the Ethiopians were stuck trying to put down an
insurgency in their own country and occupy Eritrea.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: still FMA-40k Next: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging