Prev: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: (on-topic) New Honnor Harrington book

RE: Planetary defenses

From: Jean-Pierre Fiset <Jean.Pierre.Fiset@e...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:13:01 -0400
Subject: RE: Planetary defenses

> ----------

All
> > that is required from an offensive force is to build devices that
will
> > destroy the atmosphere.  In case of the earth, a large number of
nukes
> would
> > suffice to do the trick (think also about bio warfare).
>
> No offence to nukes but you would need a LOT to make earth totally
> uninhabitable. You'd need a fairly large number just to make the
> majority of it difficult to inhabit.

It seems that technology is better at destroying live habitats than
sustaining them.  At the present time, we are able to pulverize large
cities.  In the years where technology will be able to carry large ships
through solar systems in a reasonable amount of time, then I believe the
same technology could be used to destroy (or make unhabitable) large
area of
terrain.

>  After a number of
> > years of war like that, not a living creature would be left in good
> health
> > to keep fighting.  In this scenario, the offensive force is not
planning
> > occupy the planet afterward.  Also, the offensive force does not
have to
> > come close to the planet; it can lob those nukes from far away.  The
> defense
> > system will stop some, but it would not take too many misses to
wreck
> the
> > planet.
>
> Wouldn't it? I think we're talking in the high thousands or possibly
> tens of thousands to make someplace like Earth unpopulable. I think
> you underrate the recovery of the biosphere. It can take quite a slug
> and keep on ticking. Now, it may change how life is conducted, but it
> may well be just fine for survival with a few new steps (time to
> move underground).

You are referring to wars as we have known them.  Bio-wars and the likes
will bring a very different reality.

> >	It seems to me that the most important factor is whether the
> > offensive forces are taking the planet over or if they are getting
rid
> of
> > rodents.
>
> Why do I get the feeling when you speak of getting rid of rodents
> this is a reference to what you plan to have your ESU fleet do to
> your gaming companions, JP? (Grin)

Actually, I think I was thinking about you :-)

> Tom.

JP

Prev: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: (on-topic) New Honnor Harrington book