Prev: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: Planetary defenses

Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:10:48 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Los wrote:

> We always think of colonies as a few croppers grubbing along trying to
> make a living. Eventually successfull colonies become "little"
civilized
> worlds, then get more established. There's no reason on a  world with
> large seas that the use of sea going vessels won't become a prevalant
> means of transportation of trade. You don't have to have two powers
> sharing a world. Town X makes is the agricultural center of the
planet,
> Town Y is the manufacturing center, they trade via seaborne routes.

I don't think anyone questioned the value of merchant vessels... but
blue
water military when you have access to starship tech?

It's not that we don't have cavalry -- they just don't ride real horses
anymore.

> All of this can lead to multiple regional or national governments on
teh
> same plaent as a colony matures.

Agreed, once they win independence in the first place.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: Planetary defenses