Prev: Re: Voltron [Semi OT] Next: Re: Voltron [Very OT]

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:28:14 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, John Atkinson wrote:

> Because any idiot nowdays can buy a hand-held laser rangefinder
> accurate to the nth degree.  Laser rangefinders are used on all combat

> vehicles (at least in real militaries).  Takes a tiny fraction of a
> second to get exact range from any vehicle to any object.

Really? I was in comms, so I never used range finders, but I am
questioning the user interface. I have no doubt the range finder can
give
you a result very quickly for a *single* object you have already lined
up.

Assume getting the range is as easy as clicking an icon on your computer
screen. I sure as hell can't click any arbitrary icon in just a tiny
fraction of a second -- and I only do this shit 10 hours a day -- half a
second maybe, for one icon. To click several, say ten, would take
seconds,
plus the time to digest the actual results.

And meanwhile, everything in the world is moving...
Plus that real bullets don't have a strict max range.

Can you, in real life, whip out your handheld rangefinder and instantly
come to the conclusion that if you run towards me for, let's say 30
seconds, I can not hit you with my rifle (even though I see you
clearly),
but if you take one step further, I can? I would be, ofcourse, free to
move within the time period.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance", said Gen.John
Sedgwick...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Voltron [Semi OT] Next: Re: Voltron [Very OT]