Prev: RE: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them? Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: Planetary defenses

From: "Buji Kern" <mrbuji@w...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:20:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

Okay, time for my random musings. Note that I don't have FT (just SG2
and
the EFSB) so I may be a little off in terms of game mechanics.

First of all, I would place any dirtside defenses either in an armored
silo/housing buried in the ground (On an elevating platform in the case
of
direct fire weapons), underwater or on mobile platforms such as trains.

Perhaps submarines would be a suitable platform for missiles. I have no
idea
about atmospheric diffusion of lasers, but with a fixed emplacement you
could provide quite a bit of wattage.

"Okay people, we're shutting off the MegaTropolis power grid- it's time
power up the Planetary Defense Lasers!"

Small unmanned ships (larger than a fighter but smaller than a System
Defense Boat), perhaps hiding in the ocean, could piggyback high-yield
nuclear missiles. The missiles would be a target, and many would be shot
down, but with many missiles, carriers and a bunch of payload-less drone
missiles the enemy fleet might get overwhelmed. These missile boats
could
also carry SMLs. Since they have no crew, after launching their payload
they
might as well auger into the enemy ships too.

Massdrivers might work okay, perhaps firing really big nuclear shells.

I would also try to put a lot of this stuff in orbit and/or on natural
satellites.

That's all I can think of now...

-Buji