Prev: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Mike.Elliott@b...
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:03:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

>The sad thing is that SGII COULD be the giant killer to 40k, but it
>won't
do it without a points system.	That is just the way things >are.  If
GZG
wishes to sell SGII to a wider group then a point system >must be
included
in the next edition.  I don't see how that can be >gotten around.

>Chad

It was Jon T's decision not to include a points system in SGII. It was
based on a number of reasons, one of which was that we ran out of space
(!!). It was mainly borne out of a feeling that points systems lead to
"power gaming".

Anyhow, if the nub of the problem is that you want an easy way to put
together a quick game, then why not do what commanders have to do in
real
life? In SGII the player is at most in the role of a company commander
(more usually a platoon commander). He has the troops he has been given.
No
more, no less. He MIGHT get some support assets if higher thinks he
needs
them and they are available, but it all depends.

So, two players want a game. Each brings along their current force.
You've
got three understength platoons against my elite platoon? OK, you're
guarding this installation and I've got to attack it... Result instant
game
- and no need for a points system.

Rarely will forces be equal _by any form of measurement_ So what? Thats
real life....

Perhaps its too close to real life for comfort.

My views, not official GZG.

Mike Elliott

___
					 _____

Privileged/Confidential Information and/or Copyright Material may

be contained in this e-mail. The information and Material is

intended for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not

the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering

it to the intended addressee, you may not copy or deliver it to

anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner. To do so is

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this e-mail by

mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the reply

facility in your e-mail software.

Thank you.

Prev: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle