Prev: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: OT: WWII carriers,

From: John and Roxanne Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:00:40 -0700
Subject: Re: OT: WWII carriers,

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, John and Roxanne Leary wrote:
>
> >	 The Glorious was not pladeless, in fact it had the opposite
> > problem, far too many planes on the deck.	It had been recovering
> > hurricanes from Norway and had no space to load or launch its normal
> > aircraft.	(It also had no time, but that is a different problem.)
>
> Interesting... what's your source? Mine could easily be wrong.
> In any case, the net effect is the same -- Glorious was unable to
> launch aircraft against the Germans.
>
> --
> maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)

Mikko,

     To get th boaring stuff over with quickly, here is the
pertinent information on the book/source of my statement:

Title	      :   ACES HIGH
Author	      :   SHORES AND WILLIAMS
Publisher/date:   Neville Spearman Ltd,
		  112 Whitfield Street
		  London W1

First ref: P12, Fighter operations during the war
	   ...Only one pilot became an ace in norway, Ceaser Hull
of 263 Squadron...nearly all of whom were drounded when HMS Glorious
which was bringing them an their aircraft back to England was sunk by
... (263 Sq was equipped with Gladiatiors

2nd ref: P30, 46 Squadron.  (In the Squadron history section.)
	  ...Rather than destroy their aircraft, the pilots
decided... to land ...on the carrier Glorious.
(46 Squadron was equipped with Hurricanes.)

3rd ref: P51, 263 Squadron.   (In the Squadron history section.)
	  ...only two gladiatios were shot down.  ...on 7 June the
survivors flew their aircraft out to the Glorious...

     These passages indicate that the Glorious had between twelve
and twenty additional aircraft on board during the battle, none
of which had folding wings and could not have been stored/moved
below decks.

I was very suprised to find the reference so quickly, next time
I may not be so lucky.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle