Prev: Re: [MISC] Bring and Battle Next: Re: Two weeks from now

Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:41:55 GMT
Subject: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:19:46 -0700 (PDT), Tom Sullivan
<starkfist@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>See, this is what I mean by arrogance.  Popular does not always mean
>bad.  Or good, for that matter.....  Yes, the 40K rules have more holes

>than a piece of Swiss Cheese.	And yes, there are a lot more people
>playing 40K then there are playing SGII.  There's probably a reason for

>that.

Well, I have to say that the SG2 players I played with at GenCon weren't
arrogant. In fact, most SG2 players I know play a host of other games as
well:
FT (well, duh), Warzone, Shockforce, Great Rail Wars, and a bunch of
historical games. I even know a number who play 40K because they like to
play
and it's the main game in town.

Personally, I never really hated 40K. I quite enjoyed Rogue Trader.
There were
holes: in particular I hated the turn sequence, lack of opportunity
fire, and
the fact that there were no modifiers for firing on the move. I fixed
those,
with no problems. Funny enough, I stopped playing 40K because of 40K
players
and GW. GW got everyone into an arms race when I wanted to play more
balanced
scenarios. The players kept trying to make the game bigger and bigger,
when I
wanted to play smaller skirmishes (which I contended the game was
balanced
for).

In general, the 40K players I played with tended to be close minded. I
suppose
if you really like something you stick with it. However, most 40K
players I
knew weren't even willing to try something new (even though they
complained
about things in 40K).

If you did a poll on this group, I think you'd find that a fair number
of us
play a wide range of games (including 40K and Epic). You won't find that
diversity from a similar sampling of 40K players, I'd wager.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [MISC] Bring and Battle Next: Re: Two weeks from now