Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: [MISC] Bring and Battle

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson@q...>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:32:19 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [MISC] Bring and Battle

At 06:26 AM 9/21/98 -0700, Tom Sullivan wrote:
>Scenarios are a lot of fun, and I enjoy playing them, but they take
>work.	They take time to design them; time that I do not have.  Plus, I

>have found that, all too often, I would be the one designing the
>scenario, and therefore would be the guy stuck with the Ref cap.  I
>don't like running games.  I like playing them.  I like the luxury of
>being able to pick up a box of tanks, go to the local Hobby Shop, sit
>down and play.
>
>You can't do that with Stargrunt.  That, and its total lack of local
>popularity, are why I have given up on it.  I CAN do that with a lot of

>other games.  That's why I still play them.

This is the main problem my friend and I had in trying to get people to
play SGII at both our regular gaming club and newer one we joined.
People
we showed the game to made the first comment of "Where's the points
system!?!".  When we expalined that the game had no points system and
that
the game was scenario-based, they mostly shrugged and said "THAT can't
be
fair then" and would walk off (it needs to be noted here that most of
those
who wrote off the game without trying it were the hardcore 40K players).
The very, very few that were left and wanted to try a game played and
thought it was too hard to do the work on scenarios to bother, and the
game
lay silent.  Recently at our local club, the game has taken a revival
(much
to Toby and my pleasure) as they have all started to see the merits of
the
game and the fact that the scenarios aren't too hard to do anyway.
Thank
the gods!

>You know, annoying though GW gamers are, I can say this much for them:

>They are at least a hell of a lot less arrogant than GZG gamers....

As other have said, that's a gross generalisation.  No criticism, Tom,
but
it is.	Here in Brisbane I have found the opposite to be generally true.
The hardcore GW gamers are supremely arrogant about their game and talk
about nothing else.  Try to talk to them about other gaming systems and
they quickly leave, shut you up or try to get the topic back onto GW
games.
 After that they really don't want to know you unless you start to play
GW
games.	The GZG gamers are much more open and willing to try new games
and
to talk about them.  And they tend to be much friendler.  Sure they get
bit arrogant about GW games and gamers, but its kind of a "they do it
too"
attitude.  Here in Brisbane, the GW gamers are generally much, much
worse
(there are exceptions, but most of them are really, really arrogant).

I still do enjoy the odd game of 40K.  Hell, I like the universe with
its
high fantasy and escape-ism and I have a sentimental attachment to my
Imperial Guardsmen who have taken on personalities of their own.  But to
play the game and enjoy it, I have to radically alter the rules or
introduce numerous house rules to play.  With SGII I don't.  Its kind-of
realistic, fun to play and always nail-biting (remember your green
trooper
who downed the veteran Powered Armour trooper and killed him, Jase?)
IMHO.
If the new 40K is everything I've heard it to be, I may just try it out
but
I will be playing SGII for much, much longer.

Whew!  <Rant Mode OFF>

-Kelvin....

   "And how do you suppose we stop them?
      Get a big red sign with the word
	    STOP written on it?"

Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle