Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: erm... power armour

RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availabi lity

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:56:58 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availabi lity

You wrote:

>9mm ain't that bad. But, as far as I know, criminals can and do use
>eveything from zipguns to big 'ol assault rifles. When dealing with

Myth.  Ever checked the percentages of crime which is actually carried
out with assault rifles?  Not many at all, and even SMGs are rather
unusual.

>the uniform and badge. Fine on the routine beat,  but when push comes
to >shove (like in a SG2 scenario) a high capacity 9mm might not be the
optimal >weapon to have.

It's either that or give them an assault rifle.  Which cannot be
carried in an inconspicious manner.  Most police calls which involve
violence are domestic disputes between married couples.  Walking into
that emotional minefield with an assault rifle will NOT do anything to
calm down the situation, which is a police officer's first priority in
almost all cases.  When "Push comes to shove" then additional firepower
can be brought in.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: erm... power armour