Prev: Re: [LIST] Probs? (and FT: My ESU destroyed by FSE) Next: [MISC] Bring and Battle

[MISC] Bring and Battle

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 06:22:41 PDT
Subject: [MISC] Bring and Battle

>What is various people's obession with the form of game called
>"bring'n'battle".  I've only seen this on paper (as in name of
>scenario) with Warzone and Warhammer 40K.  The way it is being used
>leads me to believe it refers to one-offs done with total strangers
>with intention of forming any ongoing gaming groups.  Huh?  Once you
>get a group going, even if no single person shows up two weeks in a
>row, you can start posting house rules whereever you are playing the
>games.  People who wish to show up and bring their stuff to fight
>one-offs are generally more than welcome, but it is up to them to
>ensure their forces are in compliance with the group's house rules.
>If the house rules aren't properly balanced, you'll find that out
>rather quickly and they will be changed.
>
>Again, maybe I'm just lucky in that I game with adults who don't take
>pushing around little metal toys THAT seriously.
>
>John M. Atkinson

It has nothing to do with taking your gaming too seriously.  Or with
forming a gaming group (although that might happen, with any luck).
It's about playing the damned game.  Say you're at a convention, for
example...you have your FT ships with you, but you were not able to sign

up for any games in time.  You run into another guy, who also has his
fleet.	You decide to play.  Each player uses the same point total of
ships, in order to have a game that is (more or less) evenly balanced.
You play.  You have fun.

That's bring and battle.

I enjoy it because A: it allows me to play some of the games that I am
normally not able to (due to a lack of local players),
and B: because it is fun to go head-to-head with an opponent and, all
things being equal, proceed to beat the tar out of him with the forces
that you have spent so much time and effort on.

Scenarios are a lot of fun, and I enjoy playing them, but they take
work.  They take time to design them; time that I do not have.	Plus, I
have found that, all too often, I would be the one designing the
scenario, and therefore would be the guy stuck with the Ref cap.  I
don't like running games.  I like playing them.  I like the luxury of
being able to pick up a box of tanks, go to the local Hobby Shop, sit
down and play.

You can't do that with Stargrunt.  That, and its total lack of local
popularity, are why I have given up on it.  I CAN do tha

Prev: Re: [LIST] Probs? (and FT: My ESU destroyed by FSE) Next: [MISC] Bring and Battle