Prev: Re: FT Fiction etiquette Next: Re: [FT universe]

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Alex Shvarts, Andrew & Brian Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:07:29 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Tom Anderson <tom.anderson@altavista.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Tom Sullivan wrote:
>> > Not all of us,
>> > alas, have the option of playing against a regular group of
opponents.
>> > Some of us are restricted to pick-up games at the local Hobby Shop,
and
>> > you can't really go into a game like that with a bunch of
improvised
and
>> > house rules.  People don't like that.  Frankly, you just can't
expect
>> > people to accept them without first familiarizing themselves with
them.
>> > And sometimes, not even then....  All of the solutions listed
involve
>> > making things up, and that's fine as far as it goes.  However, you
are
>> > going to have to fight for every single rule change that you
introduce.
>> > And you will have to do it Every Damned Week.  I don't much care
for
>> > that myself.  The entire point of a "Bring and Battle" game is to
be
>> > able to walk in with your troops, sit down and start playing
against
>> > your opponent(s).	And please--let's not argue the virtues of this
kind
>> > of game.  They are fun, for one thing--there is something nice
about
>> > being able to pit your trrops against another's in an even
fight--and
>> > they are sometimes your only gaming option.
>
>in part, this is why the web is useful and what this list is for. if a
supplement for (say) hammer's slammer's is written, and most people on
the
list who read/analyse/try it like it, then it becomes a de facto
standard.
you can print it out, along with some credentials to prove it's
popularity,
and take it along. hey presto, you have a pre-writtem, pre-debugged,
pre-approved quasi-official supplement to use.
    Yes, predesigned genres specifying what's allowed and what
disallowed,
together with compatible extensions and limitations are an appropriate
way
to convert DSII to suit a chosen genre.

>the big and valid objection is that often, and in the case of HS
especially, the genre background has some assumptions that are very
different from DS2. whilst you could probably use an LVC-equipped
company
against someone using vanilla DS2 without trouble, using HS supertanks
with
HS superPDS will wipe out GMS altogether, and GMS is an important part
of
most vanilla DS2 armies.
    Actually, the HS missiles aren't DSII GMS. They are wireguided
missiles
in the early systems and laser designated (incorrectly spoken of by
David
Drake as laser rangefinder) in later stories/novels. DSII GMS would
actually
wipe out a HS supertank army, because they can't have PDS or ECM. The
superPDS you imply is actually an extension of the Israeli technique.
See
that the computer control is causing the tribarrel to fire at the
satellite
detected launching flash, NOT at the missile in full flight. This is
significantly easier to do than to intercept a high speed, fire and
forget,
missile, just before it impacts with your vehicle. The PDS system shoots
down missiles as they are about to impact NOT as they launch.

>this is because the HS SPDS is not a generic system - it is a system
highly
specific to its genre. that you cannot take an HS army to a
bring'n'battle
where other players are fielding vanilla armies is not a fault of DS2 -
it
is impossible in *any* system, because it simply does not make any
sense. in
the vanilla genre, GMS is useful; in the HS genre it is not. both of
these
genres cannot be in use at the same time.
    This is totally correct! GMS are not appropriate to the HS genre.
Neither are HS Powerguns with line of sight range appropriate to a
"Bring
'n' Battle". Neither genres can be in use at the same time.

>if you want to play HS, you will need to arrange it ahead of time. go
into
the hobby shop, find the bloke who runs the games, show him the
supplement
and ask him if you can have an HS game. he will put up a notice, or tell
the
players, and make sure they can get their hands on the rules (why not
put a
copy in your local library?), and they will all turn up prepared. thus,
you
may play HS. sorted.
    Absolutely wonderful suggestion. Thanks for your comments!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: FT Fiction etiquette Next: Re: [FT universe]