Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:06:59 -0700
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

John Skelly wrote:

> A million or 2 inhabitants.  Read my post again.  I win the space
> battle, I
> sit in orbit, unless you have a relief fleet en route, I grab rocks or
> drop
> nukes at my leisure.	You could have the best armored divs in the
> universe
> why do I have to fight them when I don't?

Ahh the utopian vision of future confllict.It cracks me up how everyone
assumes owning Space will just cause whatever resistance to knuckle
under. I suppose every government is going to sanction the
indescriminate use of nuclear weapons or mas drivers in every occasion.
What are you, playing the Imperial Forces in a Star Wars Scenario? There
could be any number of political or other reason for not nuking from
orbit. Overwhelming air and Naval Superiuority very rarely means jack
shit to the grunt on the ground that has to go in and winkle the bastard
out. Especially after the first minute of stepping off watever transport
and finding a mass of fire coming at you. Sure it can help a bit if
applied intelligently, but ususally you still have to get in there.
Especially when the president is on the Theater Commanders back to DO
something. Seems to me the vast majority of military operations
throughout history have had some form of political influence of pressure
on them forcing the commander to do stuff he either doesn't want to do,
or doesn't make sense.

> I disagree with the colonies being sparse  (this is a whole different
> argument) I imagine them being relatively dense clustered around a
> star port
> with farms.

I agree that the initial develpment fo a colony world looks like this,
but what aboutone that's been arount ten or twenty or fifty years?

Los

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers