Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] PA or non-PA - renamed from OT women gamers Next: Re: Air Cav

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:50:46 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

You wrote:

> ---- john atkins wrote:

:) You're pegging all the pet peeves.  No, he didn't.  John AtkinsON
wrote these glorious phrases.  I've never taken offense, but I always
correct.

>i'll bet money that there were senior generals in the british army who
opposed it. that's just the way it is with senior generals in the
british army :-). anyway, wasn't motorised armoured infantry transport
pioneered in ww1?

In a few theaters where there was room for it.	There wasn't much call
for such on the Western Front.	Who needs to get trucked the 500 yards
your average offensive takes you?

>>  I'd also note that so-called parachute/airborne
>> units tend to do as much or more movement conventionally than by air
>> assault--
>
>i suppose thatr once you've dropped into the theatre, it's not
terribly easy to get back on the plane ...

The 82nd fought the entire Vietnam War as a conventional unit, the
Israeli Paras have yet to make a combat drop (they even have APCs in
their TO&E), the British havn't made one since WWII (I don't think),
the Soviets havn't either, nor have the Poles (of course, they havn't
gone to war since WWII, so. . . ), and the 82nd was essentially
motorized for Desert Storm.

>>the Paras walked to Goose Green,
>
>NO THEY DID NOT! they *yomped*! there's a difference :-).

This 'yomp' being a little livlier than a 'meander', I presume?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] PA or non-PA - renamed from OT women gamers Next: Re: Air Cav