Prev: Re: GZG:(FB) Are there Errata Lists? Next: Re: [SG2] [DS2] [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers

Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:25:34 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

Tom Granvold wrote:

> >	  Very true.  Keep in mind that within a sphere 200
> >	  light-years in radius contains approximately
> >	  83,775 stars.  Thats a *lot* of stars.
> >
> >	  ( stellar density in our part of the galaxy is
> >	  roughly one star per 400 cubic light years )
>
>     Where does one find such data?  I'm particulary interested in the
> density of stars in star clusters.  If the density is high enough then
> one doesn't need FTL at all.	It might take several months to go from
> star to star which makes an interesting campaign setting.

	Where to find it?  Read a lot of astronomy textbooks,
	and write email to astronomers at places like
	"Ask An Astronomer".

	According to my copy of the astronomical textbook
	JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY, the stellar
	density at the heart of a globular cluster
	can approach an incredible thirty stars per
	cubic light year!

	Alas, stars in globular clusters are Population II
	stars, as opposed to Population I stars like our
	sun.  Population II stars are metal poor, and
	any planets they have will be mostly hydrogen.
	But you can ignore that for your campaign.

Prev: Re: GZG:(FB) Are there Errata Lists? Next: Re: [SG2] [DS2] [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers