Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:17:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

At 22:00 13/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Just on the topic of women soldiers etc, I believe the Russians in WW2
had
>a few fighter aces who were women.  Then again the Russians during that
war
>seemed to be quite prepared to put aside any hindrances to the war
effort
>such as gender and get on with the job.  They didn't have much choice
really.

	Whole sqaurons were manned by women (3 IIRC). About the only
service that
you won't find Russian women in are Artillery and Tanks because it was
felt
that they were not strong enough to be constantly lifting shells. You
occassionaly find women (though not units of them) with the front line
infantry. Some are Political offciers but some seem to be unit
commanders.

>The Iranians also had a womens division (? not certain about unit size
>here) during the Iran/Iraq war I believe.

	Understrength division. Never saw combat IIRC. Hardly surprising
as late
in the war the Iranians used human waves of kids to clear minefields.

>What is the situation in Israel?  Do women serve in combat zones there
or
>are they kept to rear areas?

	Mostly rear area security and support roles. Interestling 90% of
Israeli
airport security are women. I didn't mind being interrogated 3 times.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au