Prev: Re: Air Cav Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:17:34 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

At 13:43 13/09/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>One significant problem (and one which makes arguing from fiction
highly
>unreliable) is that men and women have different psychological makeups.

>(Disagree? So why did _Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus_ sell so
>well?)  I have known women who were gung-ho types who might have passed
all
>the tests to be an individual soldier--but soldiers need to fight as
units,
>not individuals.  I would not want a woman in combat with me, because I
>don't know what she would do.	With my buddies, I could predict who
would
>do what and what I'd need to cover.
>I don't necessarily see a problem with all-female units, though.

	To be honest I don't think that this is a problem for mixed
units,
provided that the mixed units work as a team. My experiance is that 10
years ago, and most propably today, that such units rarely work as
teams.
You turst and can predict your buddies because you know them and have
worked with them for some time as a team. Replace one or two of those
team
members and see if the teamwork doesn't suffer to some degree. Women in
unit are not a problem once you know them and can predict their actions,
provided they work as part of the team. Team failure has been the BIG
drawback with mixed sex units to date.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: Air Cav Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish