Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: Fighter Question

Re: [DS2]TD Design

From: Barry Cadwgan <bcadwgan@f...>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:51:56 +1000
Subject: Re: [DS2]TD Design

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Alex Shvarts, Andrew & Brian Martin wrote:
> >	    A turret mount weapon occupies size class * 3 capacity.
> >	    A hull mount weapon occupies size class * 2 capacity.
> >	Therefore you can put more things into a vehicle with a hull
mount, or a
> > bigger main gun. A points cost differential isn't really required,
as the
> > capacity difference makes the difference.
>
> I don't quite agree. I usually end up with extra space anyway (and no,
> taking a smaller hull is not the answer due to the armor limit).

Or the max weapon size limit.

> > (increase signature die size). Using a smaller chassis is not the
WWII
> > German design method.
>
> Hetzer doesn't count? Anyway, it's a matter of definitions...

It was more a case of being able to fit a bigger gun (and actually
useful) on a chassis you already had a production line set up for.

The 38t chassis and running gear, which was completely obsolete except
for internal security and anti partizan was 'recycled' as a decent tank
destroyer.

The Pz 3, likewise obsolete as a MBT gained a new lease on life as an
assault gun.  Similarly the Pz 4.

The Jagdpanther on the other hand was just plain _mean_..  (Sillynesses
like the Jagdtiger don't count.)

The point is, it takes time to set up a production line, and if you can
get more use out of an existing one, and even remanufacture old tanks,
so much the better.
--
Barry Cadwgan ( BCADWGAN@FL.NET.AU )
http://www.users.fl.net.au/~bcadwgan/homepage.htm

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: Fighter Question