Prev: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...] Next: Re: Another TD idea

Re: Another TD idea

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 14:01:30 +1200
Subject: Re: Another TD idea

Mike Jasinski <Pmj6@aol.com> wrote:
>jatkins6@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
><<
> Remember the only reason they existed was in order to stuff guns that
> could kill any tank on the battlefield at long range into an
affordable
> hull. (ie not as big as a Tiger or JSII)  Once 90/100mm guns became
> managable enough to stuff into a tank turret, then it became a
> non-issue.  I can stuff an MDC/4 into a size 3 turreted chassis at an
> affordable cost, so why do I need a tank destroyer?
>
> John M. Atkinson >>
>
>Indeed, with the way DS2 rules are written, it doesn't make sense to
bother
>with casemate guns.  However, if one were to remove the
"recommendation" to
>limit weapon size to vehicle size+1, you could squeeze a hull-mounted
MDC/4
>into a size 2 vehicle, thus restoring the viability of non-turreted
tank
>destroyer concept. In my view, that's the simplest way of doing it.
The
>only question is whether the weapon size limitation should still apply
>turret-mounted guns.

    For the right genre, the ability of maximum Vehicle Size Class +2
for
hull mounted main gun size would be appropriate. And, if you design
hulls
separately, then install weapons and equipment, much like real life
vehicle
manufacturers do, being able to install a VSC+2 weapon as a hull mount
would
be an attractive option.
    So we could have for an appropriate genre, the limitation that hull
mount weapons have a limit of VSC+2 for main gun size, while turret
mount
weapons have a limit of VSC+1 for main gun size.
    This would also lead to the ability of having/allowing size 6 and
size 7
main guns if appropriate for some genres. This would be particularly
appropriate for vehicles have level 6, 7 or 8 armour.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...] Next: Re: Another TD idea