Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: Another TD idea

Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...]

From: "Mark A. Siefert." <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 19:44:30 -0600
Subject: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...]

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> As usual, we spent much of the time admiring the various vampire and
elf
> costumes and the young ladies who were almost wearing them

	Obviously Europe breeds a much more attractive female gamer than
we do
on our side of the Atlantic.  Trust me, girl watching at our GenCon is
(with a couple of RARE exceptions) an exercise in masochism.  The
mailing list delegation made up for it by going to Hooters on Saturday.
(Sigh..... I still can't get that red-head out of my mind...)

> Highlight of the Con has to be Claudia Christian as GOH, who is a
lovely
> lady with an evil sense of humour and a staggering capacity for
alcohol.

	Of course... she's Russian. ;-)

> After becoming totally rat-faced drinking god knows what in the
Students
> Union bar on Friday night her behaviour and language degenerated into
> something more reminiscent of her character in Hexed than that of
Ivanova -
> a truly wonderful sight to behold!  (Mind you, the B5 episode when
Ivanova
> gets completely plastered and trashes the Zocalo bar now seems eerily
> accurate......).  A moment of sheer farce occurred when a couple of
> neo-fascist security goons with limited brain functions, checking con
> badges at the door of the bar after 11pm to keep any rogue mundanes
out,
> refused to let Claudia in because she hadn't actually got her badge on
her.
> They still wouldn't budge when one of the senior organisers vouched
for the
> fact that she WAS the GOH, and it took someone lending her a spare
badge to
> get her in....

	The next day those same rent-a-cops were found unconscious in
the
parking lot after receiving numerous blows from one or several blunt
instruments.  When they came to at a local hospital, they would mumble
deliriously about "red eyes," "spots," and "louisville sluggers."

>(meanwhile, Warwick (Wicket) Davies marched in with "Drunken
> Ewok" proudly scribbled on the back of his pass).

	There's nothing more dangerous than a drunken ewok!  Just ask
any
Imperial Stormtrooper.

> The food was crap, the beds awful, bits of the organisation were
farcical...

	Of course... it's a gaming convention.

> Oh, I nearly forgot, they put all the shufflers in a couple of big
tents
> (Marquees de Sad....??), which leaked when it chucked it down on
> Saturday.... <grin>

	Hmmmmm... sounds eerily familiar.  We were monsooned upon in
Milwaukee
for two days straight during GenCon.  That was all right for the RPGers
and CCGers who didn't have to budge from their nice, dry, climate
controlled convention center.  We miniature wargamers had to trek two
blocks in the pouring rain to get from the convention center to the
Auditorium where our events were being held.

> Jon (GZG), who probably disclaims most of the responsibility for
anything
> said above and will deny eveything if pressed. Having had Claudia
cuddle up
> to me for a photo, my life is now complete......  :)

	SIGH.... Claudia was at US GenCon too.	However I have this
"thing"
about celebrities; they make me nervous.  The best I could do was catch
the occasional glimpse of her signing autographs at the Precedence
booth.

--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	The foundation of collectivism is simple: There should be no
important
economic differences among people. No one should be too rich. No one
should be
too poor. We should "close the wealth gap."  This is a very powerful
idea.
This is a very common idea.  This is a very bad idea.

				     --P.J. O'Rourke
				       From his speech "Closing the
Wealth Gap"
				       Shanghai, China.  1997

cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu/index.html
====

Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: Another TD idea