Prev: Re: cavalry rules Next: Re: cavalry rules

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:12:56 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

You wrote:

>After which mines are made to have signatures that conform as closely
as >possible to a can of baked beans, etc...

Methinks this will basically come down to:

Mines come in three 'stealth levels', basic, enhanced, superior.
Detection equipment will be in three levels, basic, enhanced, superior.

Detection will be determined by opposed roll, with the quality of the
engineers using the detection gear granting a die shift up or down for
veteran or green.

>But throw a couple of 'stealth' mines into that mix, and they will
slow >down even more, as a presumed 'cleared' area erupts in their
face.  John >Atkinson once shared the opinion of a commander that
suggested that there >would be fewer casualties in the end by just
plowing through the minefield, >rather than trying to remove it (but I
believe that was trying to remove it >under fire).  I'm not sure this
idea will remain true with the >ever-increasing lethality of mines.

Note:  That was the opinion of Field Marshal Zhukov, who was fortunate
enough to have several million easily disposable conscripts and a
political system which didn't care if he blew them all up.
Realistically, in a system which gives a rat's ass about the troops,
minefields will have to be either breached or bypassed.  My vision of
of future warfare involves relatively small units spread over
relatively large areas.  You can't waste the troops clearing mines the
Russian way, and you will often have the option to bypass.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: cavalry rules Next: Re: cavalry rules