Prev: Ragnarok/Re: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...) Next: RE: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 20:10:45 -0400
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

At 10:32 AM 9/7/98 +1200, you wrote:
>>there are other views that are equally valid.  Look at "Dune", look at
"The
>>Forever Peace", look at "The Diamond Age", look at Iain Banks
"Culture"
>>novels...hell, I would cheerfully bet on one Culture drone against an
>>entire platoon of "Starship Troopers" MI.  And I would not use SGII to
>>simulate the battle.
>    Yes, how do we simulate a worm? Maybe like weather perhaps, or a
nuke
>effect but with no radiation.
>    I read "The Diamond Age", I liked it, but I don't remember any
armour
>battles in it. There were social conflicts and character conflicts,
though.

There are none.  I am in the middle of re-reading it, and jusr finished
reading  that virtually all warfare is being fought entirely by
nanomachines.  Not something that ANY game could really model, and not
something that would be a lot of fun to play anyway.
*Roll Dice*
"All of your soldiers explode!	Guess your counternanites weren't up to
snuff!"

I was just trying to say that war could, potentially, get really weird.
Even in the relatively near future.

[SNIP]

>>Me, I'm willing to admit that even 40K has its good
>>points.
>>You just have to look reeeeeeal hard to find them.
>    WH40K brings new players into wargaming. Most young gamers are into
>powergaming which GW feeds or is it the other way round? When the young
>gamers grow up, they either leave or look around for something better.
Which
>we can offer.

That would have been my main argument in favor of the continued
existance
of GW.	Even 40K players grow up eventually.  As do, apparently, game
designers!  Look at the new Epic 40K  vs. Space Marine, and see which
game
is (a lot) more playable.

>Andrew Martin
>Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Ragnarok/Re: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...) Next: RE: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.