Prev: Re: [MIN] Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: Another TD idea

Re: [DS2]GEVs

From: Pmj6@a...
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:02:58 EDT
Subject: Re: [DS2]GEVs

In a message dated 9/3/1998 8:16:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca writes:

<<
 OTOH, if you count one or more RFAC/2s, GMS/L or H, and AGLs as
 poorly armed..... I'd hate to see a well armed GEV. The Russian one
 is a big monster and reasonably well equipped (just like its us
 counterpart). Twilight 2000 had nice colour plates and descriptions
 for these beasties.

 Tom.  >>
The TW 2000 Soviet hovercraft (at least the ones in the Soviet Vehicle
Handbook) were purely fictional vehicles, albeit good looking ones.
Their
biggest failing is lack of armor which, combined with thousands of
gallons of
aviation fuel, makes them less than ideal for opposed amphibious
landings.

Of real Russian craft, Murena-class comes closest to being a
"hovertank".  It
is not a troop carrier but a fire support craft armed with a 30mm
Gatling, 122
mm rocket launchers and 30mm automatic grenade launchers.  They could
easily
accomodate ATGMs if needed.  Their displacement is around 40-50 tons.

Mike Jasinski

Prev: Re: [MIN] Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: Another TD idea