Prev: RE: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:05:51 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

You wrote:

>John, could you tell me how many types of present day mines are set
off by >magnetic fields, and exactly how common that type of mine is? I
was under >the impression that they were very rare, but really have no
idea. The mine >awarness specalists(Engineers) tell/and demonstrate to
our students how to >prod with bayonents, and also have special metal
tipped mine probbing devices.

They are rare, and primarily Italian in manufacture.  However, the
Italians sell mines on a cash-and-carry basis and aren't picky about
end-user certification.  But frankly, even one is enough to ruin MY
day.  There's also the TM-62M anti-tank mine, which is described in FM
20-32 as "The magnetic and seismic fuze have inherent anti-disturbance
features".  That's enough to indicate to me that this is Bad Juju.

Besides, give it 200 years in the future, and this stuff will be as
common as pressure-detonated.

John

Prev: RE: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon