Prev: Re: SG: Regrouping Qs [SGII/DSII] Next: RE: Fleet Book Missile Question

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:46:30 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:
>>     If I had a carefully crafted Imperial assault force, I would be
sure
>> that my opponent was using a realistic, carefully crafted Rebel scum
defence
>> force. Putting them up against WH40K Epic Eldar, Hammer's Slammers or
ultra
>> modern US Army would just be a mockery!
>>     It's important that both sides are in the same genre. It should
be
>> possible to look at each vehicle and infanty element and unit and
know
>> whether or not they fit the chosen genre.
>
> I agree, but make sure how? Especially in a pickup game? Against a guy
>you've never seen in your life?
    Design both sides! Have Rebel and Imperial forces. Kilrathi and
Earth
forces. Bugs and Starship troopers. etc. Pick randomly which side you
take.
After playing the scenario once, swap sides!

>Ok, everyone knows Star Wars, but what
>about more esoteric backgrounds? How many people in the world how to
>construct a "realistic" Kilrathi ground force? (I don't)
    I don't either! But if I liked it, I would study it and find the
vision
behind it. Then it all fits into place, usually. Sometimes it doesn't
like -
Star Trek. I can't suspend my disbelief long enough and start laughing
in
inappropriate places!

> I personally think some optionals like that (and playtesting/analysing
>them!) are in the realm of things I pay the game publisher money for.
    Possibly. But then, I can't wait for ever! I've been waiting for DS2
long enough! So now I make up my own genres, settings etc. to suit my
self
and my friends. Besides what if the game publisher gets it wrong? Why
not
get in the action by publishing your own conversion on the 'net?

> I'd much rather have that than the current "we knew people would want
>play with X so we put them in, but we don't really like X, so it's not
>really a viable choice except against other idiots who also take X."
    Just disallow it. But be sure to have a good reason for it and you
should say why it's been disallowed before the game starts.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: SG: Regrouping Qs [SGII/DSII] Next: RE: Fleet Book Missile Question