Prev: Re: GZG DS2: Murray Baines GEVs Next: [DS2] Query for the cannon-cockers

[DS2] DS2 ADS Expansions

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:20:59 -0500
Subject: [DS2] DS2 ADS Expansions

Found My DS2 ADS stuff, finally - here's a cleaned-up version.

DS2 ADS Expansions

There are 5 types of ADS:
RFAC
HEL
MDC
GMS
DFFG

They come in 2 sizes:
Light (weapon class 1)
Heavy (weapon class 2)

They come in 3 levels:
Basic
Enhanced
Superior

They are abbreviated ADS/WEAPON/SIZE/LEVEL
(Ex: ADS/HEL/2/SUP, ADS/MDC/1/ENH)

An ADS is essentially a class 1 or 2 weapon mated with a good fire
control
system.  They take up a lot of space, and are expensive, but are a good
way
to make VTOLS & aerospacecraft crash.  Range is medium range for that
weapons type and size (60" for HELs, max range for GMSs).  Damage is as
weapon type and class for medium range.  Special damage chits count*.

A few notes are necessary here.  Standard GMS's are only good against
ground targets and VTOLs in Low mode.  To shoot at aircraft/VTOLs in
High,
it must be an ADS/GMS.	LAD is still considered manpack missiles, and
its
function has not changed.  The only changes in everything else are in
the
stats of the ADSs and the damage function.  I have limited ADS weapons
class 1 & 2 based on the necessity to target the weapon very rapidly -
this
is better achieved with a light weapon.  This is a highly accurate
anti-air
system, not a gigantic flak gun.  Even with an HEL, you would still have
significant aperture/mirror/whatever to move around.  I decided to have
capacity requirements be directly related to weapon size, as opposed to
system quality.  Software over hardware.  As there were only 2 sizes, I
decided to drop one of the original 3; the 20-pointer went, as I really
had
a hard time seeing a class 4 vehicle chock-full-o-ADS.	It's a personal
decision.  YMMV.  GMS attacks on aircraft are resolved as normal GMS
attacks.  Put ECM on your aircraft.  Think seriously about PDSs as well.

 The whole thing is designed to give the ability to create a really
nasty
Air Defense Environment.  Anti-Air lasers tend to make high flight a
thing
of the past.

Capacity requirements
Light	10
Heavy	15
They are assumed to be full turreted, unless model dictates otherwise.

Cost
Type x Size x Level
Weapon type and size are costed as normal; for level use the following
Basic: 20
Enhanced: 30
Superior: 40
(Ex: ADS/HEL/2/SUP = 960 points.  Pricey, but it'll control the skies)
(Ex: ADS/RFAC/1/BAS = 100.  Cheap, but you'll need a lot of them)
(Ex: ADS/DFFG/2/SUP = 1200.  If you really want to buy this, you get a
12"
range, but what you hit will probably go away)

ADS GMS costed as follows:
GMS standard cost x 10
(Ex: ADS/GMS/L/ENH = 300)

*If a VTOL/aerospacecraft suffers a target systems down chack, you might

want to give the player a chance to get the systems back up as normal -
if
you're feeling generous.  It could limp back to base, to appear later in
campaign, or something.  It's still a mission kill.  Usually, though,
it's
a crash.  Mobility hit?  Crash.

Comment away!

Noah

Prev: Re: GZG DS2: Murray Baines GEVs Next: [DS2] Query for the cannon-cockers