Prev: [SG] [DS] Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics) Next: Re: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movi

Re: [SG2] [DS2] GE Mechanics

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:57:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] [DS2] GE Mechanics

Tony spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> At 05:29 PM 9/1/98 -0500, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> [snip Murray's message]
> >
> >How about this: GEV can mount weapons with recoil (MDCs and RFACs)
> >to a limit of one size class smaller than the vehicle size class (ie
> >size three vehicle can only mount RFAC 2 or MDC 2). This gives
> >tracklayers and solid platform vehicles (grav tanks meet this
> >criteria because of grav control) an advantage when mounting
> >non-energy weapons.
>
> Since "normal" vehicles can mount a weapon up to one size class
> bigger than the vehicle size, perhaps limiting GEV/Grav vehicles
> to having weapon sizes equal to their size class would be sufficient.

If I'm not mistaken, and I may be, the vehicle construction rules in
SG2 don't permit this - I take it the DS2 ones do.

> Of course, this may lead to all GEV/Grav vehicles having HELs and/or
> GMSs...

Sure... if it works!

> This is just the same thing as in the DSII rules, except that
> the gun has an additional 15 degrees in its firing arc. Personally,
> I like the fixed gun rules, as they pretty much force you to use
> your TDs in an ambush role.

The other thing is the low silhouette of a TD could contribute to
firing at the vehicle as one size class smaller in SG2 terms (since
AT weapons fire at size class multiplied range bands - so a smaller
effective size class would be a big plus).

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup