Prev: Re: Cleaning out the ACAS list Next: Re: FT Political Geography w/ B5 Wars hexless vs EFSB?

Re: [SG2] [DS2] GE Mechanics

From: Tony Christney <acc@q...>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 16:35:25 -0700
Subject: Re: [SG2] [DS2] GE Mechanics

At 05:29 PM 9/1/98 -0500, Thomas Barclay wrote:
[snip Murray's message]

>How about this: GEV can mount weapons with recoil (MDCs and RFACs)
>to a limit of one size class smaller than the vehicle size class (ie
>size three vehicle can only mount RFAC 2 or MDC 2). This gives
>tracklayers and solid platform vehicles (grav tanks meet this
>criteria because of grav control) an advantage when mounting
>non-energy weapons.

Since "normal" vehicles can mount a weapon up to one size class
bigger than the vehicle size, perhaps limiting GEV/Grav vehicles
to having weapon sizes equal to their size class would be sufficient.

Of course, this may lead to all GEV/Grav vehicles having HELs and/or
GMSs...

>> My concern is with Fixed Mount weapons, we often refer to these as
Tank
>> Destroyers. The classic Tank Destroyers of WWII were lower silohette,

>> increased armour and maybe a larger gun when contrasted against a
>> comparable turreted model. I think there should be some advantage to
a TD
>> other than mounting multibarrels. This has nothing to do with the
fact
that
>> I have tons of fixed-gun light tanks.
>
>How about this for tank destroyers (anything with fixed forward
>firing main ordinance - just like some of the TOG tanks in Renegade
>Legion): If the main ordinance of a vehicle is mounted in a fixed
>forward mount, it can only fire at targets within an arc 30 degrees
>either side of its centreline (and probably only for a stationary
>vehicle, no movement allowed or half move limit), but the weapon can
>exceed the size class of the vehicle by one size class.

This is just the same thing as in the DSII rules, except that
the gun has an additional 15 degrees in its firing arc. Personally,
I like the fixed gun rules, as they pretty much force you to use
your TDs in an ambush role. The only thing that I don't like is
that you don't get a break on the cost of the weapon (although we
haven't really been using point values much lately).

       Tony Christney
       acc@questercorp.com

  "If the end user has to worry about how the program was
   written then there is something wrong with that program"
				  -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Cleaning out the ACAS list Next: Re: FT Political Geography w/ B5 Wars hexless vs EFSB?