Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: Re: Ottawa: Autumn Assault is coming up

Re: SG Humor

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 18:36:08 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SG Humor

You wrote:

> > On a weekend when they aren't gaming, SG players may be found
>>   calculating the instability of the ringworld or the specific
>>   density of the BOLA.
>
>	Excuse me... even I didn't get this one.

Misspelled Bolo.  And the Ringworld instabilitiy is a bit of an inside
joke.  Niven came up with this "Ringworld" number in his Known Universe
(the only bit of which I bother with is his Man-Kzin Wars stuff, which
rocks!), which turned into a money machine for him.  And some
Engineering students sat down and calculated why it wouldn't work due
to orbital instabilities.  It's in N-Space, IIRC.

>> 40k players read lots of Wells & Lovecraft, but probably very little
>>   Hemingway.
>
>	What the hell does "Farewell to Arms," and "The Old Man and the
Sea" >have to do with sci-fi ground combat? Hmmmmmm?  Huh?

Damifino.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: Re: Ottawa: Autumn Assault is coming up