Prev: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club Next: Re: SG Humor

Re: SG Humor

From: "Mark A. Siefert." <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:08:11 -0600
Subject: Re: SG Humor

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> I found this in the newsgroups and thought it was too funny not to
share...

> Exerpted from Jane's Guide to Wargamers, 4th ed., regarding the
> differences between Stargrunt players and Warhammer 40,000 players.
>
> SG players want a game that looks and feels like a historical,
>   but with rayguns.
> 40k players want a game that looks and feels like a RPG,
>   but with miniatures.

	Don't even TELL me about your Chaos army, buddy!

> SG players believe that realism is very important; the lack
>   thereof makes WH40k a bad game.
> 40k players believe that drama is very important; the lack
>   thereof makes Stargrunt a bad game.

> The ideal of realism, to a SG player, is of course the SG universe.
> The ideal of drama, to a 40k player, is of course the 40k universe.

	Where the hell is the drama in a game between two geeky 12 year
olds
with armies composed of more chesse than Wisconsin?  Comedy is the word
I'd use.

 > On a weekend when they aren't gaming, SG players may be found
>   calculating the instability of the ringworld or the specific
>   density of the BOLA.

	Excuse me... even I didn't get this one.

> On a weekend when that aren't gaming, 40k players may be found
>   watching the latest WWF special on pay-per-view.

	Oh man!  You don't know how true this is!  I was at the local
game
store yesterday to pick up some figs and recruit some new FT players,
and all the WH40K players wanted to talk about (besides the rumors of
what the Evil Empire is going to do with 40K 3rd edition) was the
upcoming WWF SummerSlam on pay per view.

> SG players reject any game that isn't strictly realistic because
>   it goes against their hard SF fanboy tendencies.

	Your damn right I'm a "hard SF fanboy" and I'm ----ing proud of
it!

> 40k players reject any game that isn't like theirs because GW
>   tells them to. :]

	I got your "chapter approved miniatures" RIGHT HERE!!!!

> SG players don't like Star Wars because Darth Vader isn't hard SF.
> 40k players don't like Star Wars because Luke is a wuss.
> (incidentally, Legions of Steel players like Star Wars lots,
>  but wonder why Threepio doesn't get to kick any ass)

	Hey!  I'm a SG player... and I hate SW for both reasons;
especially the
latter.

> SG players read lots of Heinlien & Asimov, but probably very little
>   Hemingway.

	Heinlien yes... I won't touch Asimov with a Ten-foot-poll....
not after
"Foundation's Edge."

> 40k players read lots of Wells & Lovecraft, but probably very little
>   Hemingway.

	What the hell does "Farewell to Arms," and "The Old Man and the
Sea"
have to do with sci-fi ground combat? Hmmmmmm?	Huh?

> It is a bad idea to question a SG player concerning his gaming
>   prefrences.
> It is a bad idea to question a 40k player concerning his gaming
>   prefrences.

	Your point being?

--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	The foundation of collectivism is simple: There should be no
important
economic differences among people. No one should be too rich. No one
should be
too poor. We should "close the wealth gap."  This is a very powerful
idea.
This is a very common idea.  This is a very bad idea.

				     --P.J. O'Rourke
				       From his speech "Closing the
Wealth Gap"
				       Shanghai, China.  1997

cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu/index.html
====

Prev: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club Next: Re: SG Humor