Prev: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships Next: [LST] codes

Re: Gauss Weapons

From: Jonathan White <Jw4@b...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:34:08 +0100
Subject: Re: Gauss Weapons

At 00:25 26/08/98 +0100, you wrote:
>This may not be all that new but friends in low places tell me that the
>British Army has a working Gauss artillery piece.
Hmm.. Is there any distinct advantage to a Gauss artillery piece
compared
to a standard chemical or binary propellant one? I can understand a
gauss
gun would have advantages in a tank - caseless ammo, less smoke on
firing
etc, but an arty piece is nowhere near the enemy and is only really
vunerable to counterbattery fire and air interdiction raids. Would a
Gauss
weapon have a longer range than a chemical powered one necessarily?
Higher
rate of fire? By definition they are going to be heavier of themselves
than
standard arty pieces because of the magnets, capacitors etc..

			TTFN
				Jon
-----
"Information doesn't want to be free, it wants to be liberated and
expensive"
Jonathan White, Psychology Section, Bolton Institute
BWFC fans list site : www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist

Prev: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships Next: [LST] codes