Prev: Re: Fighter Screens vs SLMs Next: Re: Space tactics

Re: Fighter Screens vs SLMs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:45:30 +0200
Subject: Re: Fighter Screens vs SLMs

John Leary wrote:

> Thoughts, just to muddy the issue!
>
> 1) The SLM is called a missile, is mass two (the same size as a normal
> FT/MT missile.).   (Thats one for the fighter intercept school.)

No. The salvo missile salvo is a packet of *6* missiles fired as a
salvo.
The rules consistently refer to it as "the salvo", not as "the missile".
Read the first sentence on FB p.9, for example.

BTW, the abbreviation "SLM" doesn't appear in the FB what I can see. It
talks about "SML" (Salvo Missile Launchers) and "SMR" (Salvo Missile
Racks), and about Missile Salvoes for the above, but "SLM" (Salvo
Launched Missile?) is not used. An SLM would probably be one of the six
missiles in a salvo.

> 2) The 'missile' is a dispenser for 6, 1D6 submunitions.

The rules flatly contradict this.

> 3) Can the fighters intercept the SLM missile prior to the
submunitions
> being launched?

Since there is no "sub-munition carrier" except the launching
*starship*,
no.

> 4) Does the submunition, if used against a fighter Sq. attack the Sq.

SLM cannot be used against fighters, only ships (ie, anything designed
using the ship design rules of either FT2 or the FTFB).

Of course, there is nothing to stop you from designing an SMP carrier
pod, replacing the normal warhead of an MT missile with a sub-munitions
pack! It's just a different weapon from the SML/SMR...

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fighter Screens vs SLMs Next: Re: Space tactics