Prev: Re: Map the FT Universe Next: Re: Map the FT Universe

Re: Space tactics

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:38:42 +0000
Subject: Re: Space tactics

On 17 Aug 98 at 16:11, maxxon@swob.dna.fi wrote:

[snip a thought provoking essay on high speed pass attacks]

It's been mentioned before... if your closing to target movement
vector per turn is much higher than your ships sensors range, then
you are going to have trouble detecting the targets. In fact, they
may be somewhere completely different to where you guessed they were,
and at the crossing speed you have, you don't have enough time to
alter course to attack them.

On the flipside, lets assume that orbital early warning systems may
have detection capabilities at far greater distances (personally, I'm
using light seconds in place of MU's) This means you can have your
orbital massed SML launchers plant rather a large cluster of volleys
right in your path, and you don't even see them to use PD'S's on
because you can't see them until it's too late.

You end up actually being better off with a slow closing speed, and
the chance to manuever into a self supported engagement.
Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
I've noticed that one thing about parents is that no matter what stage
your child is in, the parents who have older children
always tell you the next stage is worse.
     Dave Barry

Prev: Re: Map the FT Universe Next: Re: Map the FT Universe