Prev: Re: No longer ... Next: Re: Map the FT Universe

Re: Vehicular Flamethrowers for SG2

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:19:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Vehicular Flamethrowers for SG2

Alan spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> The Cockatrice was designed and built in the dark days of 1940. One
> threat was large scale drops of Paratroops onto airfields... And the
> defence had to be quick, easily made, out of non-weapons.
>
> The Cockatrice was therefore a large truck, with armour plate bolted
on,
> and a turret with a flamethrower on. The idea was that when the Ju-52s
> came over, after all the Spitfires had been KO'd, one of these would
> motor onto the runway, and as the Fallschirmjaeger came down on the
> airstrip, would motor on past, casually crisping them (or at least
> giving them something to think about while trying to undo their
> harnesses). As the Germans dropped their weapons in separate canisters
> rather than with them, this was actually a good idea.
>
> To discourage gliders and low-flying drops, it could be aimed straight
> up too.

Mental Note: I might drop Fallschirmjager into a hostile LZ, but I'd
sure soften it up with bombing, guns, etc, and give them close air
support. So if your fighters are all shot down, your airfield will be
a smoking wreck (except for the runways) before my troops land. And
if your little truck pulls out, my stukas and junkers and
messerschmidts will chew it to pieces (it go boom real good) before
it gets anywhere too near my jump troops. I don't think its that
great of an idea - a desperate one -yes. Good.... probably not -
except for the first time when it surprises the enemy if it can
manage.

Tom.

Prev: Re: No longer ... Next: Re: Map the FT Universe