Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: Re: Space tactics

Re: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:11:02 +0200
Subject: Re: Salvo Missiles (was UN Ship Nomenklatura)

Laserlight wrote in reply to someone else:

> > I was recently on the receiving end of a demonstration on how to use
> > SML's.  En Masse.
> > My opponent had cruiser sized vessels with multiple missle launchers
> > (but only 2 loads per launcher).  He could, and did, throw out
enough
> > SML's in a single turn to overwhelm any defence on any ship.

How many ADFC did you mount?

Wonderful things in a missile- or fighter-dense environment, ADFCs.
Never
leave home without one per cruiser or larger ship.

[snip]

> Let's say you want a hard kill on a Szent Istvan (60 hull, 14 armor, 4
> PDS).
> 1 salvo is absorbed by the PDS suite.

[snip]

You've forgotten two things:

That DN is (or at least should be) escorted by 2-3 Kronprinz Wilhelm CLs
or Radetsky CEs, each of which provide another 3 PDS together with one
ADFC each. If you've placed your SMLs perfectly, they'll all hit the DN
-
but you're still two salvoes short of destruction (on average, of
course). Now, if your missile salvoes were *not* perfectly placed, they
are in all likelyhood going to attack one of the cruisers. 7 SML salvoes
on a cruiser... sort of gives the word "overkill" a new meaning <g>

The DN also carries a fighter group, able to at least weaken a third
missile group. This effect isn't that important compared to the escort
ships, though.

Regads,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Space tactics Next: Re: Space tactics