Prev: Re: Printed works of future combat Next: Re: 15mm Stargrunt Question

Re: Printed works of future combat

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:46:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Printed works of future combat

>	There's also a book by Pournelle that uses the Nika riots as
> inspiration -- one of the Falkenberg books, I think.

Inspiration?  He pretty much just retold the story of the Nika riots in
different setting.  Excellent book.  Falkenburg was the protagonist.
Not
Go Tell the Spartans or Prince of Sparta...I think it may have been The
Mercenary but I don't recall for sure.

> I remember this one
> well because someone on a newsgroup once claimed the story proved
> Pournelle was some sort of reactionary.

Pournelle is pretty conservative (or sensible, depending of your own
politic view) but this particular story is a retelling of an historical
event.

 I wish I had known the
> historical basis of the story...
>
>	Hmmm... can anyone suggest a good general history of Byzantium?

IIRC Sir Steven Runciman has history of Byzantium.  I think also
Jonathan
Riley-Smith.
If you happen to like Byzantine history, Harry Turtledove has books
(Agent
of the Empire, and the Misplaced Legion books) which take a great deal
from
Byzantium; Turtledove has a doctorate in Byzantine history.

Prev: Re: Printed works of future combat Next: Re: 15mm Stargrunt Question