Prev: Re: Printed works, period kinda long Next: Re: Printed works of future combat

Re: Printed works of future combat

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@i...>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:52:10 +0000
Subject: Re: Printed works of future combat

On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 08:41:39AM -0500, John Atkinson wrote:
> The only one that's not
> even loosly Vietnam based is, of course, Counting the Cost, which is
> based on the Nika riots in Constantinople during the reign of
Justinian
> the Great.

	Which seems to be a _very_ popular source of inspiration for
SF writers. Drake's used to it twice -- _Counting the Cost_ and less
veiled in latest book he coauthored with S.M. Stirling(?) -- the sequel
to _Oblique Approach_.

	There's also a book by Pournelle that uses the Nika riots as
inspiration -- one of the Falkenberg books, I think. I remember this one
well because someone on a newsgroup once claimed the story proved
Pournelle was some sort of reactionary. I wish I had known the
historical basis of the story...

	Hmmm... can anyone suggest a good general history of Byzantium?

--
crawford@iac.net

Microsoft: Why don't you just go away?

Prev: Re: Printed works, period kinda long Next: Re: Printed works of future combat