Prev: Re: Printed works of future combat Next: Re: No longer ...

Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:56:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations

On 12 Aug 98 at 18:39, laserlight wrote:
> BTW it looks like you can have a max thrust of 11 under vector
> rules. "How?" you ask.  Thrust 8, burn 1 of your extra 4 maneuver
> points to rotate 90 degrees, then push port (or starboard) with the
> remaining 3 maneuver points.	Or execute the same steps in reverse
> order.  It's not logical (the 8 Thrust should occupy the entire
> length of the turn, so you don't have extra time to push in the same
> direction) but it is, insofar as I can tell and until the amendment
> I feel sure Jon will add about 30 seconds after reading this, legal.

I went back and re-read the rule and you are right.  As written, it is
perfectly legal.  The relevant passage states that "unlike in cinematic
movement" thruster movement points do not reduce the number of main
thrust
points available.

Was this how it was done in the EFSB?  Or did they still have it where
the
total of main thrust plus thrusters had to be less than or equal to the
ship's overall thrust rating?

I'm more comfortable with doing it that way and it seems like it would
be
the quickest and easiest fix to what seems like an abuse of the system.

In my opinion, if you are going to try and model vector movement, a
ship's
thrust rating should describe its maneuver envelope.  (Actually, using a
continuous acceleration model, it would be half that during the first
turn
of thrust, but let's not get into that...)  No matter how it manuevers,
it
should never be more than that distance from its projected endpoint.  If
thrust, turn, push maneuver lets you do something different, then your
model is broken.

Jeff

Prev: Re: Printed works of future combat Next: Re: No longer ...