Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: Re: No longer ...

Re: Printed works of future combat

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:06:12 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Printed works of future combat

You wrote:

>As someone pointed out, it is On Death Ground. It's from a Sun Tzu
>quote which went

In.

>There is a series by an author whose name I forget (but I will look
>up) on La Legion Etrange in the future (FSE Legion if you wanted to
>put it roughly into the FT universe). It had two or three books that
>were all worth looking at. Including a good discussion of 'defeat in
>detail' as a concept.

Dietz did some with the Legion which carried the lineage of the French
Foreign Legion (I know I can't spell "Foreign" in French. . . ), and
someone else did a Fifth Foreign Legion series.

>was nuked by Arabs (then the Israelis nuked Meca in revenge). It
>gives an impression of how a poor planet might export mercenaries as
>a resource in order to trade for things it needs.

Any of the Dorsai books by Gordy Dickson also discuss this.

>Mercenary by Jerry Pournelle was another interesting book, as was
>Falkenberg's Legion.

Prince of Mercenaries was another one.	Then we have the Prince of
Sparta and Go Tell the Spartans, which is as good a fictional look at
guerilla warfare in the future on a colony world as I have EVER seen.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: Re: No longer ...