Prev: Re: No longer Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4 Next: RE: Printed works of future combat

Re: Printed works of future combat

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:41:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Printed works of future combat

Pick up David Weber's Starfire stuff. It's my favorite, and is
intimately about ship combat (And some ground combat), both staregic and
tactical. The books are:

1.Crusade: A influenced by a human that had violated their prime
directive 100 years earlier returns to human space in an attemptto
liberate EARTH in the name of Holy Mother terra.

2.On Deadly Ground: The known universe faces it's most deadly threat
from an arachnid like race. (My favorite)

3. Insurrection: The terran federation erupts into civil war.

As far as ground combat. besides the Standard SST, Halderman, and
Hammer's Slammers.

1. John Steakley: Armor.  This is kind of a weird book. The beginning
and end of the book cover some pretty good ground SST-like combat, but
the middle has a completely seperate story which many might find an
annoying diversion.

2. John Dalmas: The Regiment, The White Regiment, and the Regiment's
War. Three excellently written books by a former grunt. It's about a
mercenary regiment and their combat in the far future. Very well done.

Anyway that's a few for now.

Los

Also, Drake's Honor Harrington series has cool ship combat for which
there is a FT conversion.