Prev: Re: Background List Proposal (Re: Other Forces) Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations

Re: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:01:06 +0200
Subject: Re: FT: Pushing past Thrust limits

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> Turning, on the other hand, seems to be much more of an issue in my
eyes.
> If you've worked your velocity up to 22, especially with the vector
> movement system, then good luck to you on turning that fat dog around,

Well... it only takes two turns to stop completely; a 90-degree turn cam
be accomplished in three turns. Of course, this is a lot more than for
the cinematic movement, but high-thrust ships are surprisingly agile.
Centauri-style ships are... even more so <g>

> and
> hope that your opponent doesn't have an SML or other weapon which
takes
> advantage of your now predictable movement.

Since the (thrust 8) ship moving at speed 22 can end up just about
anywhere within a 11" radius from 22" straight ahead, it isn't that easy
to hit with a template. You can usually narrow the target area down a
bit, but you still need at least two, often three salvoes to ensure a
hit.. In fact, I've found ships using the cinematic movement just as
easy
to target with those salvo missiles <shrug>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Background List Proposal (Re: Other Forces) Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations