Prev: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article) Next: Re: GZG DSII WAM - What are they?

GenCon 98 FT Tournament Fleets

From: dean.gundberg@b...
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 98 08:27:22 -0600
Subject: GenCon 98 FT Tournament Fleets

 I sent this yesterday and it never showed up so here it is again.

 These are the fleets the players had to choose from.  They are all
basically
 1500 point fleets using FT 2nd edition rules.	Most ships were taken
directly
 from FT and MT book examples.	The first player to destroy half of his
 opponents fleet determined by points was declared the winner.

 One player commented that he liked the format of choosing from pre-made

 fleets because an Admiral never has exactly the fleet they want, they
make
 due with what they have.

 Next year the tourney will use the Fleet Book rules (FT 2.5) and will
either
 have 3-4 fleets created for each of the main powers (9-12 total) for
the
 players to chose from or the players can define their own fleets, we
have not
 decided yet.

 I will include some comments about each as they are listed.  The number
in
 parentheses is the total points of the fleet.

 Enjoy and let me know what you think,
 Dean

 -----------------------

 GenCon FT TOURNEY FLEETS

 Basic Beam Fleet (1480)
 Might have been selected once but that is all. 4xDD
 1xCE
 2xCA
 1xBDN

 SDN Fleet (1482)
 Chosen a several times, and used exclusively by Schoon, the tourney
winner.
 It is the beam fleet but the CE is exchanged to upgrade the BDN to a
SDN.
 4xDD
 2xCA
 1xSDN

 Pulse Torp Fleet (1485)
 Chosen only a couple of times.
 6xTorp DD
 2xCE
 1xStrike Cruiser
 1xBC

 Carrier Fleet (1501)
 Chosen by the list's own Mark Siefert in both rounds he played 3xFG
 2xDD
 1xCE
 1xCA
 1xCVA

 2 Capital ship (1484)
 Chosen only once I think.  This fleet also had the highest average
thrust of
 any fleet.
 3xDD
 2xCL
 1xBC
 1xBB

 Light Carrier (1475)
 No one chose this fleet.
 3xDD
 1xCE
 1xCA
 1xSuper Cruiser
 1xCVL

 Missile Fleet (1478)
 No on chose this one either.
 3xDD
 2xSuper DD
 3xMissile Cruiser
 1xBDN

 We debated on whether to allow the following 2 fleets and decided to
include
 them since they had disadvantages that balanced their advantages.

 Mega Weapon Fleet (1495)
 (Same support ships as SDN Fleet)
 The MegaWeapon fleet was chosen many times and always with the AA
Megabattery
 options.  A couple of times they both burned out on the first turn and
at
 least one burned out every game.  The 2nd place finisher used this
fleet for
 the first 3 rounds.
 4xDD
 2xCA
 1xMegaWeapon DN

 MegaWeapon DN
 Mass 82
 Cost 593
 Thrust 2
 FTL
 Mega Weapon: 2xAA Mega Batts (F)   OR	 1xWaveGun (F) 2xA-batts (FPS)
 1xA-batt (FP)
 1xA-batt (FS)
 4xPDAFs
 Level 3 Screens
 1xStd Fighter Group

 BattleRider Fleet (1486)
 Special Rules: If the BattleCarrier is destroyed, then that side
 automatically looses since the riders it carried will not be able to go
FTL.
 Chosen 4 times with a record of 1-3.  The 2nd place finisher beat this
fleet
 in the semi-finals and chose this fleet in the finals.
 1xDD
 1xCE
 2xBattleRider Alpha
 1xBattleRider Beta
 1xBattleRider Zeta
 1xBattleCarrier

 BattleRider Alpha
 Mass 16
 Cost 94
 Thrust 6
 NO FTL
 2xA-batts (F)
 2xB-batts (FPS)
 2xPDAFs

 BattleRider Beta
 Mass 16
 Cost 98
 Thrust 6
 NO FTL
 1xPulse Torpedo (F)
 1xSubmunition Pack (F)
 2xB-batts (FPS)
 2xPDAFs

 BattleRider Zeta
 Mass 26
 Cost 212
 Thrust 6
 NO FTL
 1xPulse Torpedo (F)
 1xA-batt (FPS)
 1xA-batt (FP)
 1xA-batt (FS)
 Level 1 Screens
 3xPDAFs

 BattleCarrier
 Mass 74
 Cost 691
 Thrust 2
 Tug FTL
 2xA-batts (FPS)
 1xA-batt (FP)
 1xA-batt (FS)
 Level 3 Screens
 4xPDAFs
 2xStd Fighter Groups

Prev: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article) Next: Re: GZG DSII WAM - What are they?