Prev: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article) Next: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)

Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:10:33 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Yes, but they'd involve taking advantage of rules. In RL (or what
> would pass for), you could fire as you passed.

Which is exactly my point: The game's believability breaks down when you
encounter these "in real life this would be a really stupid thing to do,
but the rules let me get away with it and even benefit from it" things.

Let me offer an analogy.

It is technically possible to fly ships at any speed in FT. However, I
claim that the game's playability starts to seriously break down when
speeds exceed weapon ranges.

Likewise, you could technically play out the entire battle of Kursk
using
Advanced Squad Leader. However, I don't think you can find a single sane
person thinking 200,000+ counters will not have impact on playability.
Except maybe Örjan.

[Pre-measuring]
> There can be a happy medium. The question is does it matter more if
> you win or have fun? I know my answer :)

Unfortunately, some people can only have fun by winning.

Yes, it is a question of drawing the line. I find the easiest line to
define is the most strict. Others may disagree, use whatever your group
is
happy with -- just be prepared for the occasion when someone stretches
your practices to the utmost limit.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article) Next: Re: FT Munchkins (Re: Mars #2 FT article)