Prev: GZG Chat Information Next: RE: Terror

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:13:39 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

You wrote:

>Hmm. Might just be that the major power made an unpopular decision
>(like not sending grain from Terra, or who knows what) and the locals
>decided to capture their embassy in response - so they could be good
>troops too. Then maybe the scenario is hold out for a few days
>against a few waves of attacks until Ortillery or Jump Troops from
>home come in to save the day and either re-align local power
>structures or evac the mission.

Not likely.  Organized and recognized governments almost NEVER violate
the sanctity of an embassy.  Even Hitler and the Japanese left embassys
and diplomats alone.  That is not a protest action, that is a
declaration of total war, and a violation of international laws that
cannot be ignored.  Only a pariah state would even consider that, and
even then I can only think of one occasion when embassys were violated
by an organized government--and Saddamn Hussein is so fraggin' stupid
it's a minor miracle he hasn't blown his own head off yet. (Duh!  I'll
piss off the Americans and then let them spend 9 months organizing a
response!  My only friends are the French, so I'll insult them on
French TV and attack their embassy too!).  Especially in a fairly
bi-polar universe (French&Chinese vs. English&Germans), there would be
strong pressure not to cross certain lines.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: GZG Chat Information Next: RE: Terror