Prev: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas

Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 23:20:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas

laserlight spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> 3.  Stealth capability is included in standard ship's package;
Enhanced or
> Superior Stealth will cost perhaps as Streamlining and will reduce
mass
> signature to 50% and 25% respectively (imagine his look when his
sensors
> finally get a good read on what he thought was a Mass 50 escort and
> realizes it's a Mass 200 SDN).  Stealth Fighters, Stealth Mines and
Stealth
> Missiles will also need to be considered.  Absolutely no Stealth
Planets.

One point to consider. I consider stealth being the ability to not be
seen. Although what you say is a big plus from a perspective of
tactics (is that a scout or DN) it lacks a lot from a point of view
of strategy (in either case, they know their is something out there
and the bubble might be about to go up). I think if you establish a
range for Sensors (the factor below being multiplied by whatever one
thinks a good sensor range is)

Primitive		0.5
Basic		0.75
Regular 	1.00
Enhanced	1.25
Superior		1.50
Advanced		2.0 (alien tech?)

Then stealth could be considered a multiplier on this.

No Stealth (Civilians, Old Tech)	1.00
Basic Stealth (Low End Military, Old Hi Tech Military)	0.9
Regular Stealth (Normal Military)     0.75
Enhanced Stealth (Hi End Military)  0.50
Superior Stealth				0.25
Advanced Stealth (Alien Tech)		0.10

For example, the UN Military Scout (fresh off the line) with Superior
Sensors (modifier 1.50) searching for the lost Planetary Defense
Vessel (Basic Stealth, powered down due to equipment failure, 1.9
range modifier) would at 1.35 * the distance the same Scout would
detect a ship with Superior Stealth.

A Normal Destroyer with Regular Sensors, hunting for a Cruiser hiding
under Enhanced Stealth would detect it at 1.0 * 0.5 = 0.5 times
normal detection range. This might just be too close for the
faster destroyer to escape the cruisers guns and missiles, and it
might be inside the jamming envelope!

As a last example, the UN Scout searching for the Evil and
Cunning Sa'vas'ku Stealth Scout (with an Advanced Stealth package, a
0.5 modifier) would only pick up the ship at 1.5 * 0.1 = 0.15 times
the normal detection range. Whereas the Normal Military Scout with
Enhanced Sensors would only pick it up at 1.25 * 0.1 = 0.125 times
the normal detection range.

Just an idea. It has some math involved, but the basic idea of
establishing a concept of detection ranges (maybe like in SFB you
gain different info at different ranges) then modifying these ranges
for sensor and stealth quality would give the best feel. A sensor net
that should catch an uncloaked battleship will probably let cloaked
scouts slip through.....

Tom.

Prev: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas